While the list of things you need to do before selling your home can get overwhelming, you don’t need to do absolutely everything before putting it up for sale (nobody has time for that). Forget the little things. Instead, focus on the upgrades, fixes, and repairs that will provide you with the most money and the quickest sale possible.
Everything You Need to Do
1. Fix or upgrade your roof. There are few parts of your home that are as important or valuable as your roof. A damaged roof can lead to problems throughout your entire home and can impact your family’s overall health. Buyers don’t want to move into a home that isn’t safe or might have problems. If your roof is more than 10-20 years old, it’s probably time to replace it. It’s going to cost thousands of dollars to replace your roof, but you will be able to see a return on your investment if you do so. Don’t need to replace your roof? Make sure there isn’t any damage. If your roof does need help, get it repaired immediately.
2. Service or replace your HVAC system. In today’s world, few things can sell a home faster than the promise of energy efficiency. Whether buyers want to protect the environment or reduce how much they spend each month, saving energy means selling your home. If your heater and cooler are more than 10 years old, replacing them with modern units will save you (and your potential buyers) hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars a year. It can cost up to $10,000 to replace your HVAC system, but that money will almost certainly come back when you sell your home for more money.
3. Landscape. No, you don’t need to spend $10,000 on water features, fish, and a rock garden. What you must do is fertilize, water, cut your lawn, make sure your trees and flowers are kept tidy, and generally remove any rubbish from your yard. In a single weekend you can get enough done to greatly improve the way your home looks (and, therefore, how quickly it sells). Just make sure you keep up on all of your hard work until it is sold.
4. Clean your garage and fix your garage door if necessary. A garage is a huge selling point for most homes (especially in areas where snowfall is common). Not being able to show off your garage because it is full of junk, or not being able to access it will send buyers to the next house on their list. While you can do most of the cleaning on your own, fixing your garage door is usually another matter entirely. If you need help getting your garage door in working order, contact a company like Service Max today.
5. Paint! Painting is one of the easiest things you can do; it’s one of the least expensive, and it’s one of the most rewarding. While it won’t always increase your home’s value, a fresh coat of paint can leave buyers with a great impression of your home. A fresh coat of paint will make everything stand out (in a good way) and give a sense of newness, even if your home is decades old. Just make certain you don’t use flashy colors. Someone moving into your old home wants to decorate it their way, they don’t want to be forced into your color schemes or decorating choices.
As mentioned earlier, there are other things you should do before selling your home. However, the five listed above should be first on everyone’s list. Whether you need help fixing your roof or mending your garage door, companies like Service Max can help you with any job you can’t manage on your own.